NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA) - Desktop, and ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

  • ETHERNET PORT CONFIGURATION: 5 Gigabit ports
  • PLUG-AND-PLAY: Simple set up with no software to install or configuration needed
  • VERSATILE MOUNTING OPTIONS: Supports desktop or wall mount placement
  • SILENT OPERATION: The fanless design means zero added noise wherever its located, making it ideal for noise-sensitive environments
  • PROSAFE LIFETIME PROTECTION: Covered by an industry-best Lifetime Limited Hardware Warranty, Next Business Day Replacement and 24/7 chat with a NETGEAR expert
  • ENERGY EFFICIENT: Designed to optimize power usage lowering its cost to operate. Most models are compliant with IEEE802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet mode.
  • BUILT TO LAST: Every NETGEAR Network switch is rigorously tested for reliability, quality, and performance.

I have used these same network switches for about 11 years. I have 5 in my home for my network system. It is a large home with three floors and two offices. I tie in 3 servers, 6 tower computers, one laptop, 4 laser printers, digital scanners, 2 digital security video systems, ROKUs, and multiple AP systems to cover my home and yard. I also have two WIFI systems with high power AP points. I have had great luck with these switches. I did have one fail after 10 years and I called the company and I was sent a replacement at no charge and it arrived within 2 days. Since then I have purchased two more as spares and for expansion into our finished basement. I will only purchase Netgear switches based on the product quality, performance and great customer support I have seen. They stand behind their lifetime warranty and because of that I am a loyal customer. This is a very reliable company and they stand behind their company's products with a first class warranty! It is installed as a network hub in my basement and it is working fine. Great quality product. I highly recommend this unit. I like that these hubs are no maintenance and they are plug and play. They work well and last without any issues. Top quality with good support and a great warranty! What I like is that they work so well you almost forget about them being in your network system. Why buy a second class product when you can have a top quality product at a great price and with the best warranty around? My past experience with this product has proven to me that it is superior quality with excellent product support. I have purchased more of these units for use in my home as I like the quality and customer support. It is nice knowing that this is a reliable high-tech supplier that stands behind their product.

I have three of these switches in service in a very heavy internet traffic household. Multiple PCs, laptops, smartphones, consoles, media and game streaming boxes, etc running at once. I bought these instead of the trendnet I reviewed previously, as the trendnet stripped some important features from their 8 port switch; namely wall mounting holes and different lights indicating 100 or 1000 mbps connections. This netgear switch has both features, and a lifetime warranty to boot. For those reasons, along with the fact that it was currently on sale, I decided to invest in them. Performance has been flawless for anything connected to them. No stuttering, freezes or disconnects. There's really not much else to say regarding performance. It's been perfect for the year I've had them. Regarding the capacitor issue mentioned in a previous review, you need not worry. These switches no longer use capacitors, or at least the ones that were the problem area in previous revisions of the internal hardware. I uploaded a pic displaying this.

[Update 9/14/2018] My GS108 conked out. Netgear guarantees the unit. I had not registered the unit - didn't know that I should - but when I went to get support, the web page said I had to register the unit. So I did it then. Then I called and the agent worked with me to make sure it had died, and when he was satisfied, he approved the replacement even though I had just registered and didn't remember exactly when I purchased it (it was one I had purchased from a local store, not Amazon), and didn't have the receipt. I chose the slow replacement method (free) where I shipped the defective unit to them and they shipped me a replacement. I received the replacement today - a new unit! I know this unit is a bit more expensive but a lifetime replacement warrantee is nice to have. And Netgear didn't blink - they honored the warranty without giving me any argument at all. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I bought this GS108 because I didn't have enough ports on my router. Works great and gives me seven additional ports (one is used to connect to the router). In fact, I took all of the cables from my router and just plugged them into this switch. Basically, just plug and play. I have two of these and the older one has been installed for several years without problems.

If you can plug an Ethernet cable into a port, you'll be able to install and get this switch working. After years of running everything off of a WIFI signal, I decided to swap as many devices to be hard wired to the network. If you are transferring big data (music, videos, photos... etc.) to your devices, do yourself a favor and do it over a cable if you can. Data over a cable is going to be much faster. If you are dealing with big files, this can have a big impact on your ability to do so without waiting for things to buffer. My list for things to switch to wired from WIFI included: 3 PCs/Laptops, 2 TVs, 1 PS4, 1 XBOX 360. Simple math shows that to be seven devices. The problem was that my new router only has four network jacks. The solution is this switch. Connect it to one of the jacks on the router, and the capacity for wired devices just increased significantly. I went with the NETGEAR brand, as I've installed several previous versions around our offices years ago, and they keep on going without any trouble for several years now.

i have a very extensive home network with 5x total of these switches combined with a FORTINET WIFI UTM router. the network has a dedicate NAS, dedicated security camera system (8x POE 4K cameras) multiple roku's using PLEX off the NAS, and many home automation and control devices. all operate off the same hardwired network. the security cameras are on a different VLAN to separate from the rest of my traffic and these support VLAN packets. i daily max out my 1000-T Ethernet network when transferring 200+ GB of data from a PC to the NAS or vice versa. the security cameras are always running and the NAS is used extensively for media playback. Never any issues, no fuss, no worries. could not be happier.

This switch is perfect for my needs. Purchased with supplies to make my own Ethernet cables, I was able to set up my network the way I wanted. I was expecting a little bit slower network speeds but I'm surprisingly getting the speeds that I'm paying for from my ISP (500Mbps). Setup was extremely simple since there are no configurations to set, it's literally 'plug and play'. Just have a desktop computer and a wired access point connected to it, but i don't expect to get any loss of performance by filling the last two ports. I think this switch would suffice for 95% of households that need a few extra Ethernet ports to hard wire devices or to have extra ports at a more remote location in the house. Direct connection with Ethernet is definitely the way to go if the device has a network port. Wireless is very convenient, but, speed-wise, it can't compete with Ethernet just yet. Your paying for a certain amount of bandwidth from your ISP, you might as well take advantage of it. This switch is definitely worth the price. I'm in an apartment right now so a 5 port switch works fine but i would consider getting the 8 or 16 port version if you own a house, just in case. ***Highly recommend***

I've had Netgear stuff (routers, switches, hubs) for more years than I care to share, and I'm always impressed with both the build and functionality. For example" - All-metal case design. Nope, no plastic junk here! - True "shielded" connections. Sure, you many not need shielded connections, but for those that do, it's there. - A very-common 12volt DC adapter. Oops! Did you loose the original? No problem...just find another 12v .5amp tip-positive adapter...all set. Though expressed tongue-in-cheek, these things are almost bullet-proof (not really referring to being shot with a bullet). It works...it works good...it does what it says...and it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. That makes it a very smart purchase in my opinion!

I bought this because I wanted to run Cat6 cables all throughout my house to have consoles, TV's, etc hardwired rather than being on Wi-Fi. So now behind my entertainment console (360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4/TV) I have 5 Cat6 ports and 1 port for cable. Behind my computer I have 4 Cat6 ports, etc. This switch was instrumental in making all of this work for my home network. I have it placed in the basement and all the cables are run through the ceiling and walls to the outlets. I've not had any problems yet with this and it was nice getting a $30 gift card with the purchase of this. I'm very happy with this and plan on purchasing another one should I need more than 24 ports once I complete running the rest of the cables in the other rooms in my house.

You have fast Wifi, so why would you need this? Um... you probably don't. I have two in my house because I like to have some things hardwired for speed and dependability. It's basically like a multi-USB for your network. Instead of running four wires from your router to your PC, printer, and peripherals, run one wire to this and then branch out. Same for all your dongles: Roku takes a hardwire connection, and most AV devices require upgrades. If they're on WiFi they're discoverable and if there are vulnerabilities, that could mean trouble. It's a slim chance and probably paranoid, but I still prefer to hardwire my TV, receiver, and Roku to my network rather than using WiFi.

I needed more ports on my non-gigabit Verizon router, and this did the trick. It also helped improve speeds in the network from device to device. Alas, I had to retire it when I got the RT-AC88U, but I'm keeping this as backup, and might install it by the TV/multimedia center to run the PS4/4K smart TV/Steam Link/etc. Zero problems, unmanaged switch handled all the traffic perfectly without any hiccups. Keep in mind, if you're ordering a gigabit switch and the majority of devices in your network do NOT have gigabit NIC, you're wasting your money. Get a 10/100Mbps switch, instead. Remember, your network is only as fast as the slowest device. If I have a gigabit server, a gigabit switch, and another computer with only 10/100 Mbps NIC, I can't be mad when it's only transferring data at 13MBps. Also, this will not improve your up/down speeds from your ISP.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You enjoy fucking pirates?

Afghan's refugee pressure is biden

Daily Cancer Horoscope August 29 (29/08)